Warrior the war horse was a famous and well loved resident of the Isle of Wight, UK. The movie War Horse was based upon his life during world war one.
You will find references to Warrior at the Isle of Wight Heritage Museum and Carisbrooke Castle where there is a statue to him and his owner General Jack Seely in the center of Princess Beatrice's Garden at Carisbrooke.
(There is also a book, still available written about the famous pair.)
It is a heart warming story to know that Warrior went to war, survived the entire first world war and lived many years afterwards.
But the story that most people do not know, is of his connection to Winnie-the-Pooh! Enlarge the second photograph if you can to read the text.
The inscription reads: Warrior 1908-1944 "I do not believe he is denied in heaven the soul he had on earth" General Jack Seely 1868-1947
The text under the photograph reads:
Warrior met Winnie. Whilst in England training with the Canadian cavalry Warrior met this black bear cub known as Winnie. He was an orphan bear named after the town Winnipeg in Canada and was the mascot for the Fort Garry Horse.
When the cavalry moved to France Winnie was left at London Zoo where he was very popular.
After visiting him, a small boy Christopher Robin Milne, named his teddy bear after Winnie.
Christopher's father, the writer A.A. Milne used Winnie as inspiration for the children's book Winnie-the-Pooh written in 1926.
Looking down from the ramparts of Carisbrooke Castle on the Warrior statue.
Welcome to my blog, I hope you will take a little time to look around. I am a writer of playful, sensual historical romance, but also an animal lover and amateur photographer. Here you will find pages of photographs of my travels to some of England's historic homes, lots of pictures of the Isle of Wight and plenty of animal and nature pictures. And of course links to where you can find my books. Just click on the headings below or scroll through my main page and feel free to leave a post and say hello.
- Something to say?
- My Books
- The Jewel Thief
- In Devlin's Arms
- The Third Dance
- Simply Adored
- Just A Dream Away
- An Aspiring Courtesan
- What is a Courtesan?
- Pictures of Newstead Abbey
- Osborne House, Isle of Wight, UK
- Pictures of Carisbrooke Castle
- Ely Cathedral
- Rufford Abbey Country Park
- Pictures of the Model Village at Godshill
- Warrior the war horse and Winnie-the-Pooh
- Pictures of The Donkey Sanctuary
- My pictures of the Isle of Wight Military and Heri...
- The Old Smithy, Godshill. Isle of Wight
- A Visit to Highclere
- Haddon Hall, Derbyshire, England
- Newark Castle, Nottinghamshire
- My visit to Bolsover Castle
- Animals at Tapnell Farm, Isle of Wight
- Views in and around St Catherine's Lighthouse, Isl...
- A look inside HMS Warrior
- St. Boniface Old Church, Bonchurch, Isle of Wight
- St. George's Church, Arreton, Isle of Wight
- The Mary Rose
- Seagulls Over Shanklin Beach
- The Shipwreck Centre
- The Brading Roman VIlla
- Shanklin Chine, Isle of Wight